It’s a debate that’s as old as time itself, dating all the way back to when men used to battle it out in order to see who the alpha male really was.
In this instance, of course, we can’t actually pit these two against one another so instead we’ll have to settle the debate ourselves – who is the greater athlete, Michael Phelps or Usain Bolt?
It’s a multi-layered question and as such there are a couple factors we need to take into consideration. Obviously both men have achieved great things within their respective fields, with the main highlight behind their success being the Olympic Games. With that being said, there’s so much more to Phelps and Bolt than meets the eye.
8. Jon Hamm-3B: To be honest I wasn't sure who to put here, but Hamm is a huge Cards fan, so I'm guessing he's probably okay at baseball. He also seems like a real good clubhouse guy, which is someone you need when you're on the quest for a World Series title. (Source: Twitter)
5. Chris Pratt-1B: He played a first basemen in Moneyball, which he happened to hit a walk off home run in (spoiler alert). He already knows what the big stage is like, and apparently has a big time clutch gene. (Source: Twitter)
7. Matt Damon-C: Another Boston guy, what's wrong with me? Anyways, love having Jason Bourne at catcher. He'll gun out runners trying to steal, and is tough enough to take on a collision at home plate. Plus, he has a great rapport with our pitcher who you'll see momentarily. (Source: Twitter)
6. Jamie Foxx-RF: Another former QB in my outfield. Not sure how he is as a hitter, good I'm assuming, but no doubt he'll be able to chase down fly balls in right. Love the shit out of my outfielders. (Source: Twitter)
2. Zac Efron-SS: Much like the Yankees did for 20 years with Jeter, you have to have a great looking guy play shortstop, everybody knows that. He definitely strikes me as someone who's an athlete, and will be a fan favorite amongst the ladies. (Source: Twitter)
3. Mark Wahlberg-LF: Yeah, he's a Boston guy and I hate the Red Sox, but I love Marky Mark. Have you seen the arms on that guy, no doubt he's got great power in his swing, and can probably move out there in the outfield as well. (Source: Twitter)
4. Dwayne Johnson-DH: You're goddamn right I'm using a DH, why the hell am I going to let my pitcher hit? That being said, is there anyone else you'd rather have at DH than The Rock? If he gets a hold of one, he's going to send it to the fucking moon, literally. (Source: Twitter)
SEE ALSO: Doping Denials: Athlete gives the best excuse for taking drugs
So there you have it – it’s a close one, but we’re going to have to give this duel to the man himself Michael Phelps. Of course, that’s not taking anything away from the fastest man in the history of the planet earth, but the swimming icon just edges out the Jamaican superstar.
But above all else, we’re just happy that we’ve been able to see two legends of the sporting world compete in their prime. As members of the viewing audience, we are the real winners. Fact.