Monday 21st November marked the first ever annual eSports Industry Awards in London, recognising individuals and organisations who have contributed to the developing field of eSports. The majority of the winners were chosen by a panel of industry experts, though three of the awards were decided by popular vote. Amongst the winners on the night was none other than League of Legends’ most adored streaming personality, Michael “Imaqtpie” Santana.
Although Imaqtpie sadly couldn’t be in attendance for the ceremony in London, the former Dignitas AD Carry proudly accepted his award for “Streamer of the Year” with all the grace and decorum members of the BDC have come to associate with the now-award-winning, Michael Santana.
Of all the pre-recorded acceptance speeches I’ve ever witnessed – from the Grammy Awards to the Oscar Academy Awards, even Sports Personality of the Year – nothing even comes close to the quality of Imaqtpie’s heartfelt monologue to the captivated audience of the eSports Industry Awards… and of course his cat, Mellow.
Judges for the other awards presented on the evening included Christopher “MonteCristo” Mykles, Paul “ReDeYe” Chaloner, Alan “Bricey” Brice and representatives of Team Dignitas, NOWTV and Twitch.
The award ceremony was a first for the eSports industry, for which CLICKON eSports was proud to be in attendance. The event drew a large crowd on Twitch, with 6,000 concurrent viewers at peak. With 18 categories covering nearly every aspect of the eSports industry, from Best eSports Personality to the eSports Journalist of the Year.
Here’s the full list of award recipients:
- Esports Journalist of the Year – Richard Lewis
- Esports Photographer of the Year – Robert Paul
- Best Esports Coverage Website – theScore esports
- UK Esports Player of the Year – Callum “Swanny” Swan
- Best Hardware Provider – Scuf Gaming
- New Esports Game of the Year – Overwatch
- Esports Rookie of the Year – Amer “Miracle” al-Barqawi
- Esports Broadcaster of the Year – Auguste “Semmler” Massonnat
- Esports Live Event of the Year – The International 6
- Esports Team of the Year – Team EnVyUs
- Esports Commercial Partner of the Year – Monster
- Best Streaming Platform – Twitch
- Console Player of the Year – Seth “Scump” Abner
- PC Player of the Year – Marcelo “Coldzera” David
- Esports Publisher of the Year – Valve
- Streamer of the Year – Michael “Imaqtpie” Santana
- Esports Game of the Year – Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
- Esports Personality of the Year – Gabriel “FalleN” Toledo