Tiger Woods made a shocking announcement late Friday when he told media sources that he had surgery to repair his back. He will be out of action for at least six months and has set a return date for “early 2016.”
The 14-time major champion underwent the same procedure that wiped out his 2014 season and almost threatened his golf career. In a Friday evening announcement, the news came as an unexpected bomb on the golf world, which has seen TV ratings surge this year with the likes of Woods, Jordan Spieth, Rory McIlroy and Jason Day in action together.
Woods went under the knife sometime last week for microdiscectomy surgery. He had the same surgery in Spring 2014 that forced him out of the Masters for the first time in his 20-year pro career.
Woods’ back problems started in September 2014 at The Barclays when – during the final round – he crumbled to the floor in pain.
WHAT TIGER SAID
“This is certainly disappointing, but I’m a fighter. I’ve been told I can make a full recovery, and I have no doubt that I will. I’d like to send my regrets to Frys and all those associated with the America’s Golf Cup. Those were two events I was really looking forward to playing. I was ready to start the 2015-16 PGA TOUR season at Frys, and I was excited to join my good friend Matt [Kuchar] in Mexico City.
I will be attending my foundation-hosted Hero World Challenge but won’t be able to play. I appreciate everything that Hero does for the Tiger Woods Foundation, and I have a great personal relationship with Mr. Munjal [vice chairman and CEO of Hero MotoCorp]. I look forward to being there to support my event.
I appreciate the fans’ concern and support. This is unfortunate, but these things happen. I’ve been injured before and played again. It won’t be any different this time.”