It’s a toss up which was more exciting: Jon Rahm’s eagle to win the Farmers Insurance Open or this performance artist.
Since #FakeNews CBS and GolfChannel weren’t going to show it, we go to the font of all #RealNews: Twitter. Harold Varner III, who missed the cut at Torrey Pines, captured this video of an emboldened fan leaping in the pond at the 18th hole during the third round of the Famers Insurance Open.
By far the greatest thing I saw yesterday. pic.twitter.com/WXDjRs9ZN1
— Harold Varner III (@HV3_Golf) January 28, 2017
A few thoughts from the muddy waters of my brain:
- Clearly, the original plan was to jump right in…better or worse that didn’t happen?
- What do you think the marshal said to him? “Sir, please return to your position outside the ropes” or “Get the f*** outta here!”
- Bro, you gotta sell out for the pitch invader tackle. Real athletes run through arm tackles.
- The jump itself: I expected more. A startling lack of elevation based on the initial explosive separation.
- Dude, you can’t leap in and come right out. Minimum two backstrokes needed if not a full synchronized swim.
- Overall, the fan response is everything I’d hope for.
- ”Go, go, go, go!”
- Again, the athleticism is mystifying. Great breakaway speed…but an inexplicable stumble. See: Alcohol.
Ultimately, it has to be said, this in an amateur performance. Doesn’t ascend to the heights of disruption like these patriots of the cause of course invasion.
Golf’s Top 3 Crowd Interruptions:
3. Presidents Cup streaker